Detailed Narrative Description of Project:
With the capital growing very fast and increasing traffic on the roads and highways it has been a concern to eradicate traffic congestion with new road alignments and improvement of the existing roads. Thus the construction of a 3rd Bridge on Shitalakhya River came into reality. As per the requirement of KFAED and the Saudi Funding Agency, the GoB decided to prepare a comprehensive Techno-Economic Feasibility Study Report. The project activities included all necessary technical and economic studies, field surveys, surface and sub-surface investigation, laboratory testing and related works, including those described below to attain the stated objectives.
Bridge Dimensions (summary):
The total length of the structure is 1290m with 400m of Main Bridge (continuous PSC Single Box Girder and PSC Twin Box Suspended Spans in alternate arrangement) and the rest 890m of viaduct portion on both ends.
Main Bridge (400m) = 3 x 90m spans + 2 x 25m end spans (PSC Twin Box Girder)
Viaduct Portion (890m) = 28 x 30m spans (RCC Twin box girder & RCC twin box cast-in-situ viaduct) + 2 x 25m end spans (PSC T-girder)
Detailed Description of Actual Services Provided by your Company:
- To review all existing data and studies relating to the proposal to design the new bridges.
- To conduct traffic studies such as existing traffic on road, vehicles on road in study area, traffic survey, characteristics of traffic crossing the rivers, O-D analysis, commodities carried by truck, Bus passengers, car passengers, analysis of present crossing time, Traffic forecast, analysis of transport cost, vehicles operating cost etc.
- To conduct necessary digital topographic surveys and soundings of the two rivers to determine the cross section of the river.
- Study the river hydrology and hydraulics in study area including climate, hydrological and hydrographical study.
- To conduct geotechnical studies and investigations including preliminary seismic study.
- Study the materials required for the bridges including construction materials for approach roads.
- To work out all possible bridge locations and approach embankment including river cross section and provide a comparative study and recommend the best for consideration by the Government.
- Through hydraulic and river morphology study the consultant have made preliminary design for protective works.
The Consultants have also conducted: Preliminary design, preliminary cost estimate; techno-economic analysis; environmental impact assessment and resettlement requirement for the bridge.