The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USA, is supporting the project to establish a Technical Assistance (TA) Hub in South Asia. The operations of the TA Hub will be managed by DevCon. The Hub will have two country operations units – one in Bangladesh and other in Nepal.
The project will provide technical assistance to governments (national and city levels), World Bank, ADB, Islamic Development Bank and other development partners in the planning, design and implementation of City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS), Fecal Sludge Management (FSM), and Non-Sewered Sanitation (NSS) projects in South Asia. The projects will engage a large number of regional and international experts and agencies for providing technical assistance to Clients. The project operations will result in better environmental, public health and socioeconomic benefits for cities and particularly for the urban poor and excluded group in the communities especially women and girls.
- Feasibility studies and detail technical proposals for city-wide sanitation program in several cities and towns in Bangladesh and Nepal with focus on faecal sludge management (FSM).
- Detailed technical design and drawings for sanitation components including faecal sludge treatment plants.
- Design of sludge withdrawal and transport system including vacuum trucks and vacu tugs
- Business model development for operation and maintenance of FSM components like treatment plants and collection and transport.
- Preparation of technical specification and bid documents including in private public partnership (PPP) format
- Research and testing of innovative technologies
- Training and capacity building of staffs of government agencies, municipalities and NGOs